The Girl I used to be...


Last night while I was lying in bed, I started thinking about the girl I used to be.  I feel like I don’t know her any more.  She was always so positive; such a Pollyanna.  When did that change?  I feel like I’ve become bitter and negative.  I look at my Facebook postings and they’re so….pathetic.   When I was in college, I had an idea what I wanted to do.  I wanted to write.  I first chose Journalism and then decided that News Writing really wasn’t my thing, so I went to English Education and figured I’d help teenagers learn to write.  Well, it turns out that’s not my thing either.  After college, Paul and I moved to a new city and I had a hard time adjusting.  I really did.  I subbed and love and hated it at the same time.  I never felt like I could be a nice person while subbing.  When I was a nice person, it always backfired.   But, I kept going.  I kept pushing ahead thinking that this was my degree, this is what I wanted to do, right?  I mean, I was $20,000 in debt for it, so it had to be what I wanted to do.  I wasn’t one of those girls who went to college to catch a husband…was I? 

Then, Brooklynne was born and I didn’t have a full time job, so the decision really seemed so simple.  I’d stay home with her.  And then Kaelyn came and I stayed home with her too.  For 9 years, my kids were my everything.  For 9 years, I knew my role.  I wouldn’t say I was good at it, but I think I did ok.  I found other ways to entertain myself.  I knit.  I crocheted.  I made things for the kids.  I lead LLL meetings and planned LLL conferences and tried to keep the house at least somewhat maintained.  Then I joined PTO and Girl Scouts and I lead meetings and planned events and helped in the classroom.  I love these things.  I want to keep doing these things.  But, I feel like at this point, I should be doing something more.  I feel like I should be making money for my family.  I mean, that’s how we place value, right?  It’s all about what work you do and how much money you make.  There’s no value in being a full time mom once your kids are in school.  None.  I have no value. 

See, and that, I think is my problem.  When I was that young, college girl, I had value.  I had potential.  I could be anything I wanted to be.  I don’t feel like I have that now.  That naiveté that I can be or do anything I want to do is gone.  I know better now.  I know that just because I apply for a job does not mean that they’ll even look twice at my application.  I know now that staying home with my girls was a death sentence to my career aspirations.  But, here’s the catch 22.  I don’t regret that choice.  And, I’m not sure what to do with that.  I gained so much by being with my girls.  Say what you want about working moms versus at home moms, I believe that I was meant to be an at home mom. 
The question, though, is now what?  Now that simply being an at-home mom is not an option and the jobs I've applied for don't seem interested in me, what do I do?  I feel stuck and part of the problem is that the place I'm in isn't so bad.  I like being there for my kids.  I like the activities that I do.  But, my husband has asked for help.  So, I need to help him.  I'm just not sure how to do that.   I like to believe that when things are right, they work out.  I have to believe that.  I just hope that they work out before my confidence completely breaks down and my husband completely loses all faith in me.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What exactly can you do with THAT degree

Finding myself

Not good enough