What exactly can you do with THAT degree

So a conversation today sparked something. There is a persistent thought in this country that people are just naturally good storytellers, and that writing takes very little effort. Either you do it or you don't. And if you don't, well it's only because you don't have time/aren't interested/will get to it later. Writing a novel is perceived as easy, even when novelists scream that giving birth or bloodletting takes much less effort.

Along with this comes the idea of training and education. The other day I mentioned to my husband -who has been so incredibly supportive in my chosen career path- that I was thinking of going back to school. I have been effectively out of the paid work force for the past twelve years and it's a bit difficult to get back in after so many years on the bench. I said that I found it very tempting to want to go for a MFA in Creative Writing. He said, "Well, other than Author, what could you do with that degree?" It stung. I felt stupid and insignificant. Other than Author? Hadn't I been trying to go for Author for the past two years? Hadn't I told him that was the dream?

Why do we question the validity of training for these professions? Of course musicians have to practice their instruments daily. Of course writer's have to practice writing. It's no different than a doctor or a lawyer. If they don't practice their craft and continue to learn, then they don't stay in business for too long. If I, as a writer, don't hone my writing skills and take classes (not necessarily the ones that cost a lot of money like college courses), if I don't gain constructive feedback on my writing, then I won't ever improve. I'll be stuck and stagnant.

Along with this comes the training aspect. No one goes in knowing how to craft a story. No one knows about killer opening lines or the three act structure. Sure you may have heard of it in your English class in high school, but did you really pay attention? How about outlining? Did you know that there are several ways to outline a novel? No. I do, but only because I learned about them through various books and podcasts and tutorials. I educated myself on my chosen profession.

But like you wouldn't expect someone to go to a construction site, pick up a tool belt, and build a 20 story high rise without some kind of training, why then do we expect writers to just know how to tell as story from the get go?

Writing is hard work. Creating vibrant and realistic dialogue takes practice and effort. Birthing characters who are rich and deep is, at times, a monumental task. Learning what makes them tick takes discipline. Crafting an engaging story takes mastery of the skill. Writing is a profession like any other and, like any other, takes education and practice.

Nobody who just starts is ever good at it. So what if we just stop with the idea that anyone can pick up a pen or sit down at a computer screen and craft the next Harry Potter or Dresden Files. Give Authors the credit they deserve. And if you're successful at the craft, help the newbies out.

Comments

  1. I was just reading another article that discussed the underestimated difficulty of a short story. A story has to have all of the elements of plot, and it's easy to forget that when your word count is constricted. I've personally written, let alone read, too many short stories that feel more like the prologue to a novel. Crafting a satisfying story that will bring readers back for more is indeed a skill that takes study, practice, and constructive feedback, not to mention a thick enough skin to handle that feedback and learn from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! Constructive feedback is the key. As a writer, it's essential to separate yourself from the story and understand that if it's going to become better, it has to first be torn apart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding myself

Not good enough